MMA FURY

Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Greatest Fight of All Time: Muhammad Ali vs. Superman

So the other night I’m at a party, and I sneak away from the crowd around the pool, and wandering through the house for a bathroom—up the stairs, through a closed door, and WTF?! I’m in a man-cave to rival Batman’s layer: pool table; four flatscreen LCDs on the wall; framed baseball jerseys; signed basketballs; beer on tap; and atop a guitar amplifier, the most unreal statue of Muhammad Ali versus Superman. Yeah, fucking Ali toe-to-to with the Man of Steel!


 


As both a comics and fight fan, this mash up was beyond comprehension. The Matrix glitching, for certain. Each hero stood maybe eight inches high, and inspecting every angle of the thing, it was clearly official DC Comics merchandise. So I pulled out my phone, snapped a few pics (yah, I got the obligatory selfie of me lording over the two titans like a ginormous Joker), and as I turn to leave, I notice on the coffee table a hardbound comic depicting the same sculpture.


 


Screw the party. I poured a beer from the tap and settled in for a read. Turns out, back in 1978 a galactic species surrounded the Earth with a monstrous fleet of spaceships, and their leader threatened to destroy the planet unless our greatest fighter challenged their greatest, mano y mano. Both Superman and Ali stepped forward. The villainous leader demanded they fight each other, to determine the best. Only, here’s the wrinkle, Superman had to fight without his powers. 


Read entire story…


 



The Greatest Fight of All Time: Muhammad Ali vs. Superman

No comments:

Post a Comment